Saturday 9 May 2009

Play Style Changed for the Better?

I've been playing a load of super turbo 5 man SNG type things over the past few weeks. Nothing particularly interesting there, ground out a fairly low ROI but cleared a bonus really fast. I quite enjoyed them and once I thrash out a decent rakeback deal I'll be working them into my regular routine.

Anyway, thats no the point of this post.

I played some normal turbo SNG's on Stars the past couple of days. I found it a bit strange at first and had to adapt to the much slower structure. I noticed a couple of things though.

Firstly, I'm a self confessed nit. I play pretty tight and try to play solid poker most of the time. When playing the super turbo things I had to open up my game or face being blinded out and didn't have any problems doing so. Now I'm playing a more regular format this strategy has stuck when the blinds start to increase and I'm finding myself willing to get the chips in with weaker hands in certain situations. This was something I was loathe to do before.

The second thing I noticed is how tight the rest of the players are and how easy it is to exploit them.

I've noticed a big difference in my results with this. I'm winning more tournaments than I used to and have far fewer "scrape into the money at all costs" moments.

I've found some gamble I think.

Limit poker remains my focus and main earner but there isn't much going on there. I'm experiencing a pretty variance free spell at the minute - cue doomswitch.

No comments: