Saturday 20 June 2009

Moving on up?

Ok I'm now oficially old. I turned 30 the other day and have always said that I'm going to drastically change my lifestyle when I hit the big three-oh. Obviously I'm taking a few days to celebrate, drink beer, smoke tabs and eat pizza. On Monday I'm stopping smoking (I've cut down to about 5 a day), not being a pisshead and joining a gym. I know people say you shouldn't make too much changes at one time but this plan has been 10 years in the making so I'm totally prepared. My lungs and liver may not be though.

The past couple of days I've been taking some shots at $108's and I've had a pretty decent run at them - I even played a couple of $215's and luckboxed my way to a very welcome $3k day yesterday.

I'm not sure I can beat the games at this level although I haven't noticed a massive difference in play compared to $54's. It's mainly tighter in the early phases and super aggro when the blinds get significant.

I really have to think hard about where I want to be with regards to poker. My bankroll is sitting around the 12k mark (not including yesterday's score) so I'm not comfortably rolled to play the $108's full time. I think I'd want to have nearer 200 buy ins. They obviously don't run as often either so I wouldn't get the volume in on a daily basis. That's not a huge deal to me but if I'm only a marginal winner in these games over the long term then playing 30 or so tournaments a day is going to make for some sick swings.

I suppose it comes down to what you want to get out of poker. I'm pretty happy just making more than i would working for a living. I never really thought about playing higher stakes and I'm happy to grind it out. Maybe I should be a bit more ambitious.

I think I'm going to split my bankroll, keeping 7k for grinding and taking a 50 buy in shot at the 108's. That way I can grind during the day and use my evening sessions to play higher when the games are going. Sounds like a plan to me. I'm over rolled for the games I play most anyway.

I'll give this a shot until the end of the month and see where I stand. Nothing ventured nothing gained and all that.

1 comment:

ROSSI said...

happy birthday, turning 30 aint so bad!!!